Skip to content

October 6, 2007

Nuffnang’s Shocking News!

Today I decided to cash out the money and found out Nuffnang had decided to impose a SGD$1 transaction fee for all cash outs. They need our SGD$1 to pay for the postage, cheques, materials, and handling cost. How can they do this to us?

Nevermind, I know they run out of advertisers and cash, oklah I act that the SGD$1 as a donation.

Time to remove their ads codes? I will think later, I hope Nuffnang.Sg merged with Nuffnang.My and let my blogs serve both Singapore and Malaysia advertisers.

Read more from Old School, Trends
44 Comments Post a comment
  1. HK Tan
    Oct 6 2007

There are like no more advertisers from nuffanng anymore. It is always that few same banners advertising about themselves instead.

I have long given up and use advertlets instead.

2. Oct 7 2007

yes they should have informed the users.

i don’t mind the $1 imposed but not telling, hmm that’s dodgy for a pte ltd

and yes i would still use them

3. Sentosa Girl
    Oct 7 2007

u knw what, they cant get advertisers cos the rule for bloggers, there must have at least 20 unique readers or new readers in order ads to be shown. none of their ads are shown. dats y e advertisers is wasting their money jus like dat ma.

4. Oct 7 2007

Well, the rule about 20 unique readers is to join Nuffnang. Basically, from what I have read, advertisers choose which blogs to advertise on in Nuffnang. Nuffnang has many members,and since their policy is as such, most of us do not get ads and will probably not. However we are contributing to free advertising for Nuffnang.

Nuffnang doesn’t seem to respond to blogger’s views on our own blogs. Advertlets actually commented on my blog when I blogged about them. Nuffnang? They can’t seem to be bothered.

5. Oct 7 2007

Hmmm….. must be using registered mail to send the check. Else why so ex? :P

6. Oct 7 2007

Hi all,

I understand your concerns.

7. Oct 7 2007

Oops sorry for that boo boo up there.

Anyway, I understand this is an unpopular decision, but in the face of significant costs which I will now break down and reveal to you, this decision has been taken by the management in consideration of long term viability.

The main bulk of costs comes in the form of cheque processing. This is something you can openly verify. UOB as with every other bank now, is charging 50 cents per cheque processed.This is in addition to the cost of the cheque book which they also charge for.

In addition to this there is the postage fee, which by 1st local is 25 cents each (for a stamp). The envelope costs 20 cents each. This brings it up to 95 cents, which means 5 cents for the paper, ink and labour. Labour includes time taken to print out the letter, verify the amount, pack it, and send it off.

Labour is more or less subsidised and free in this instance.

One mistake I will admit to making and can rectify immediatly is that we did not give any lead time for implementation. As a result, this action will be delayed till november. I will update all nuffnangers in the next community update.

I look forward to your continued support.

And just for your information, this week alone, hundreds of blogs in Nuffnang SG are running ads by Nike and Clearasil. Next week another major client is coming on board.

In the short space of 3-4 months, our advertisers have included, Citibank, Clearasil, Nike, F&N, Twisties Chipster, Hitchoo, and more.If you havenot recieved any advertisements at all, you should contact our helpdesk and we will look into the circumstances surrounding this case.

Thank you and I look forward to your continued support.

Best regards,
    Ming
    CO-Founder
    Nuffnang.com

8. Oct 7 2007

Ignorant soup- We do care. I believe Huiwen responded to your posts, albeit later, because your posts were created on the weekend.

For a quicker response, you should contact the helpdesk to clear up concerns. It is there where we recieve literally dozens of queries a day, and we try to respond as quickly as possible.

9. admin
    Oct 7 2007

Hi Ming,

Thanks for the infos. So that means I will get back my SGD$1?

I would like to suggest that you find new ways to pay for the cash outs. As we all stay in Singapore, you can use bank transfer mode to cut some/all of the cash outs cost. Only if the member want to be paid by cheque, then the SGD$1 can be imposed.

10. Oct 7 2007

Wow.. I must say I am definitely impressed with Nuffnang’s speed on replying to this blog post. I must say I have a different opinion of Nuffnang now.

I am glad that Ming took time to answer the concerns and I guess that answers everyone’s questions on the costs.

As the admin pointed out, maybe there can be new ways to pay for cashouts that can help reduce such costs. :)

11. admin
    Oct 7 2007

hehe.. ignorantsoup.. my post is currently at the Top 10 of ping.sg with 64 pongs (2nd position), that why Nuffnang had to reply asap.

12. HK Tan
    Oct 7 2007

Yes, I agreed with Admin. If it is not in Ping.sg top 10 I doubt the replies will be that fast.

Sad to say, this only brings as bad service quality only when it was blogged and discovered by the blogger and not from a simple email to all members of nuffnang of the charges.

13. Oct 7 2007

Dear all,

I had not been directed to this blog site by ping. Merely found it through technorati, as most of you might have done so earlier!

It’s a little bit of a lazy sunday, and I thought this was an important thread and issue I needed to answer. Especially since the mistake of implementing the cost without a lead time was made by me!

As I have mentioned previously. The fastest and best way of getting a reply, is through the helpdesk. If speed is of the essence, this is the best way. If it is not, your blog is another possible avenue, as we monitor all threads with Nuffnang in it.

Have a good sunday!

Best regards,
    Ming

14. nato
    Oct 7 2007

how come there seems to be so many complains about nuffnang? hope bloggers can get more ads from nuffnang, else its just wasting space…

15. Oct 7 2007

I’ve removed Nuffnang since the last blog post about it made it to the top 10. I email them about why no ads appear & haven’t got a reply.

16. Oct 7 2007

i think their news are announced on their blog.
    go check em out.

and oh, $1 is pretty fine, imho.

17. Oct 7 2007

Hi guys, I think to be fair, you cannot just simply say Nuffnang is not working for you guys.

to put it plainly, you guys are like fashion models. Some clients like, some do not.

Even xiaxue admitted that she lost some big advertisers because of her blog content…

HER BLOG CONTENT.

Advertisers have a right not to place an add in EVERYONE’s blog. They can look at the stats and simply choose someone else to carry their ads as perhaps they feel its more fitting for their image.

Like fashion models, you do not get 100% Caucasian girls to fashion in China, and you wouldn’t have all chinese girls run a show in Paris.

Some clothing are for +size models, so using stick thin ones defeat the purpose of having +size clothing.

Maybe its time to look at the content? the focus? the Layout?

18. Oct 7 2007

And one more thing… its just $1. A business is required to cover their cost, and MAKE A BLOODY PROFIT. I think $1 for every cheque they send is really a VERY reasonable amount.

19. Oct 7 2007

i dont think $1 is unreasonable at all. i dont know about you guys but when i send queries to the helpdesk, i get speedy replies.

why do ads not appear? firstly the blog has to have at least 20 unique visitors a day, anything less, do you think advertisers would want to “waste” their money advertising on a blog where probably nobody reads?

thats my 2 cents.

20. Oct 7 2007

Hi Ming,

Considering the amount of bad press Nuffnang is getting in the small blogging world of Singapore, you should really consider getting someone to help you with your PR.

Explaining the charge of S$1.00 doesn’t make anyone happy. I don’t understand why you say there is a 50 cents charge for every cheque processed, that’s ridiculous and I don’t know how you came up with that. An envelope also doesn’t cost 20 cents, where do you buy your envelopes?

If you want to charge $1.00, don’t tell people its because of this and that, just charge it against their earnings. No one, except you, know how much they are making anyway. So why make the charge visible and risk the ire of the community? Consider that so many of the bloggers carrying your banner are giving you FREE advertising and at the same time giving you the means in which to make a living (without them you have nothing).

Justifying what you have failed to do, are not good at, have messed up in, really isn’t doing you any good.

Just do better …

21. admin
    Oct 7 2007

Sorry Ming for giving you a bad Sunday.

I know that Nuffnang and Advertlets always come to my blog from technorati.

Yes malique, I only checked their blog after I cash out and noticed that they charged SGD$1 for transaction fee! No notice at their cash out page.

Hmmm.. Bear, some advertisers surely do not want to advertise on a blog with 500++ unique visitors a day.

Haha Entrepreneur, their envelopes are custom made with their logos, not the normal envelopes. I agree with you, if Nuffnang want to charge for the cost, they should charge before they tell us how much we earn.

22. HK Tan
    Oct 7 2007

It is not about the $1 that is chargeable but not telling others beforehand that I believe makes others pissed about it.

23. Oct 7 2007

Hey admin..

I had a few Nuffnang posts in the top 10, but they didn’t reply on a sunday..and I didn’t get the boss..

LOL..

24. admin
    Oct 7 2007

As Ming said he got here by technorati, so you need to get technorati ping your blog.

25. Oct 7 2007

Entrepreneur: Ming is correct. The banks just admended their charges for business account cheque service. First 30 cheque cheared is free. After that, every cheque cost 50cent.

So, does that means the first 30 person who encash their earning gets 50cent waiver?

When the cost of business operation increase, it is very easy to simply pass everything to the consumer instead of finding other ways to reduce operation cost.

Just like what our public transport company are doing.

26. wuss
    Oct 10 2007

NN have super bad publicity lei…

27. Oct 11 2007

HK Tan: Dear Josh, it is very obvious that you are up to your old tricks again pretending to be a fictional “HK TAN” and bad mouthing Nuffnang. If what your fictional HK TAN say is true and that he dropped nuffnang for adverlets, why is there no link to his blog?

you are really such an immature little kid

28. Oct 12 2007

Josh changed name to HK Tan already ah? I can’t keep up. LOL. I didn’t know Nuffnang has bad PR in Singapore. Does it?

No one likes being charged extra for anything. I didn’t like the RM1 charge as well. It is fine to voice it out but no one should be wearing “masks” while doing it. Josh has taken advantage of this situation by writing the previous post on Advertlets not charging any fees already. I had a good laugh reading it because the content wasn’t surprising at all.

So, who is HK Tan? And who is Josh the Immature?

29. admin
    Oct 15 2007

You asking me for their IPs? Hmmm… Why don’t you write Nuffnang’s IPs too?

30. Oct 16 2007

I think you misunderstood me. My questions at the end wasn’t to request for any of their IPs but merely just a thought. To get people guessing. I made my own guess but I could be wrong.

31. Oct 16 2007

btw..nuffnang do take serious action when I’m blogging about them at http://www.hafreze.com/2007/09/why-i-drop-nuffnang-ads-instead-of.html

one of their personnel email me about the entry and convince me to put their ads. So, nevermind laa..I try to give another one month..about 3 weeks after that, get advertisement from fridays..I’m happy..they do a campaign at my blog from 30/9 to 6/10..then..I thought that their payment is high..after the campaign finish..only got RM 3.00+ arr???..I’m really fedup..then put the nuffnang ads at the lowest position in my sidebar section..

haish..better advertlets..boost up rom Rm8 to Rm 51..ok laaa..not bad…

32. Jascha
    Nov 19 2007

sometimes it’s nice to have a rich dad like ming and timothy…they can take all the risks, start their own business…become famous without having to worry about putting food on the table.

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. Make Money Online @ PUTRAWORKS.COM » Blog Archive » Nuffnang’s Shocking News - Part 2
  2. Make Money Online @ PUTRAWORKS.COM » Blog Archive » Make A Buzz And Watch The Rush
  3. Make$ Money$ - Truth, no scam » Blog Archive » Singaporeans si-peh kiasu (the nuffnang $1 fee issue)
  4. Nuffnang Vs. Advertlets: Masked Attacks In Singapore? | TenthOfMarch.com
  5. Asian Blog Ad Network Leaves Some Bloggers Unhappy
  6. Is Nuffnang only about money? | The BizWalk
  7. Asian Blog Ad Network Leaves Some Bloggers Unhappy | moraaz.org - feed all tech!
  8. TechCrunch reports about unhappy Nuffnangers